Friday, July 9, 2010

Departures

My boy is currently winging his way from Auckland to NYC via LA. I dropped him at the airport at 7am this morning and the weather was absolutely dreadful. The wind has been an icy southerly this week and topped off with the rain and the darkness at that early hour of the morning, my mood was fully reflected in the bleak environment - suffice to say I was pretty miserable.

Last week we watched a wonderful film together - Departures - directed by Yôjirô Takita - it won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film in 2009. I'm actually very glad I didn't read the synopsis before I watched the film - the subject matter isn't entirely up my alley, but one of the most fantastic experiences in the film world is to watch a story unfold before your eyes, for which you have no preconceived ideas or opinions. I haven't enjoyed a film so much in a long time (apart from some skippy moments on the DVD) and I'm trying desperately to get my hands on the soundtrack. The only place I can find it in NZ is through an overseas order for around NZD$60 - a little much to spend on a CD I think. Anyway - here is the lovely cello theme for you - it doesn't really give anything away about the film, so I urge you to check it out if you haven't already seen it.



And on the Japanese theme, did I mention my smarty-pants boy speaks Japanese? Yep. Awesome, I know. And I've definitely eaten more Japanese food in the past few months than I have in my entire life. And where is the most clicheingly (is that even a word?) fabulous Japanese restuarant in NYC?

Gourmet Tour - 2nd Stop : Nobu New York

And aren't I pleased to discover there are two other Nobu's in New York! Nobu Next Door (right next door to Nobu New York..) and Nobu Fifty Seven. Sweet. Bring on the tempura!!

                                                 Pic: 1iverating.com

                                                 Pic: nycgo.com

1 comment:

  1. I speak Japanese too! (Very badly these days, though).

    Have you seen Spirited Away? It's my all time favourite Japanime film... So many different messages - it's beautiful. I payed about $40 for the soundtrack, too! Madness, but the music is worth it.

    ReplyDelete