Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bucket List

Wasn't there some movie called The Bucket List? It has connotations for me of something old people compile as a list of things they wish they'd done when they still had the chance. Rather cheesy perhaps - I'm certainly not going to carry a list of experiences around in my purse to check off when I complete them.

Sarah Wilson has posted this morning on her blog about the Top Five Regrets of the Dying. This is something that has been on my mind the past couple of years following the sudden passing of my beloved Grandma. It's all about making sure you live a true and happy life because you never know when it will all be over. It's not morbid, or really about regrets at this stage (I'm only 31 for goodness sake) but it's about changing lifestyle and attitude so that when it comes to the bucket, you don't have any regrets.

And I'm all for living a happy life. I try to have a positive attitude as much as possible. I have a new relationship that I'm throwing myself into with all my heart. I'm pushing myself with my career so that I can say at least I tried. I think the saddest thing for many people is the 'not trying'. The fear that comes with putting yourself outside of your comfort zone. I'll have none of that thankyou very much - I thrive on the fear of the unknown!

Perhaps I should start a Bucket List, just to keep as a daily reminder that life is short, and I need to grab opportunities when they appear - or to take it one step further, make opportunities happen!

I think many of the items on my yet-to-be-written Bucket List would be visiting certain places in this massive world. Well New York is obviously on my list, or I wouldn't have this blog would I? So let's call New York Bucket List Entry #1.

So for something in the same vein, that I always mention with the tag - "I have to do this before I die"..

Bucket List Entry #2 - Visit Antarctica


My Dad has already been there. Jealous much??? He has some great old photographs of his time there - I can't remember if it was days or weeks that he spent there - he was in the RAAF for many years and took this massive Hercules down there on a transport visit. He still has all these old goggles and gloves and beanies and suits and rucksacks that he took on the trip. I even used some of them on school camps years ago.


So as soon as I have $10,000 to spare, I'll be booking a berth on a cruise ship down to the bottom of the earth! Highly likely I will be retired when this ever becomes a possibility... But at least it's on the list!

Do you have a Bucket List?

3 comments:

  1. Snap, Ali! I was on the train coming home from work pondering the same thing: i think some people aim for "extraordinary" and others feel that "fine" is good enough.
    Going for what you want is hard and scary. But you're right. What have you got to lose?
    Your blog is such an inspiration every time I start to think "maybe fine is ok". You always remind me extraordinary is out there for the taking.

    NY is of course on my list too (take #2!) but also Iceland. I've always always wanted to go there.

    I only just figured out why it's called a "bucket" list!! And I know you will tick off everything on yours Ali.

    Also sending cyber hugs to you and your sis. That is so sad. Hopefully it won't be too long before she realises how many wonderful experiences and people are there just waiting for her.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! And oh my god Iceland is totally on my list too!! I want to relax in those hot pools with steam rising off them and feel like I'm on another planet..

    I definitely haven't felt full of inspiration lately, having had the flu, but I'll build it back again eventually - I'm really starting to rely on these blogs as MY daily source of inspiration - all you lovely girls write so beautifully! I love that you have a record player - I used to play the Billy Joel "Piano Man" record on my parents record player - especially the track "Ballad of Billy the Kid" over and over again - it just had such a different feel to it than a CD. If I ever spot an awesome record, I will send it your way!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! That reminds me, I used to make my parents play Billy Joel's "You May Be Right" on reel-to-reel all the time. It opens with a massive crash then driving guitar riff which my brother and I loved. It drove my parents nuts though b/c once we heard the first 20sec we'd just wander off.

    I hope you feel better soon Ali!

    xx K

    ReplyDelete