So yes - Eat Pray Love (thanks for posing the question Rach!) whilst being an ordinary film, reminds us that nothing lasts forever. Sigh... We have to enjoy the good things while they are good. But at the same time, I guess all bad things also come to an end. I'm still digesting this article I read on smh today - the question is "should marriages have an expiry date?". Are you kidding me?! Apparently ONE THIRD of Australian marriages end in divorce. I cannot get over that figure. It blows me away.
Being obviously unmarried, I have no personal experience, other than the marriages within my family.
My Dad's parents were married until my Grandad died in the late 70's or early 80's - so, a long time..
My Mum's parents were married until my Grandma passed away almost 2 years ago - 58 years.
My parents have been married almost 33 years.
My sister has been married almost 4 years.
Of my 4 sets of Aunts/Uncles, only one was divorced many, many years ago. The rest have been married a long, long time.
On the other hand, my Boy's parents split when he was 16. His Dad remarried very happily, his Mum hasn't. This is new for me. Even most of my best friends' parents are still married.
In my mind - if/when I get married someday - it will be forever. FOREVER. I don't ever want to experience the pain of divorce. Especially if there are children involved. It makes me so mad to think that anyone would go into a marriage, either firstly for the wrong reasons, or secondly to give up on it. ONE THIRD of all Aussie marriages end in divorce - more than 40% ending within the first 10 years. Is it just me, or do those numbers sound a little ridiculous? Why get married at all? To have a big wedding? To make it legal? I don't quite get it.
I realise there are so many reason surrounding this, and so many angles to view it in, and that's not what I want to get into. All I know is what I feel, and what I want.
Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to get married! If I ever get asked, I know it will be for the right reasons, and when I say yes, I will be saying yes with all my heart, and I will be making a lifetime commitment to that man. That's what marriage is to me. Or that's what it has always been in the past... It just makes me sad to think how many people believe they are doing the right thing, and then having it fall apart. Call me a romantic...
Pic: Le Love

So funny - I was just thinking "Ali hasn't updated her blog for a while, I might go check on her" and boom! a new blogpost the second I checked. Synchronicity.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I'm with you. Only one relative has gotten divorced (and since remarried someone wonderful) and everyone else in my family has stayed together. I'm not sure I believe in marriage for me personally but I do believe in forever.
And Ali, why do you need to wait to be asked? Can't you do the proposing? :)
xx K