Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bookworm Part 2

I've lately been rediscovering my love of reading - after far too long forgetting how wonderful it is to lose yourself in an engrossing novel. I am pleased to report that since my last post, I have polished off the following amazing books:

Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami

This was just amazing. It was a page-turner right from the start, and the most bizzarrely wonderful book I think I've ever read. A friend at work gave me her old copy, and I'm now on the hunt for Murakami's back catalogue - the most recommended of which is already on my bedside table waiting it's turn - you'll see it at the bottom of this post..

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

This was just wonderful. I've not yet read The Kite Runner, by the same author, but it's on my list. A really intimate ad tragic telling of life under the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Mr Pip - Lloyd Jones

I was reading this when I wrote my last post, and it was fantastic! The film is being made in NZ - mostly being shot on location in PNG - really beautiful and visual and sad..
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro 

I was doing my regular check on Apple Trailers and came across the trailer for this film which is coming out soon - Never Let Me Go, directed by Mark Romanek - and it intrigued me so much. I immediately noted down in my diary the title and author of the book, and added it to my must-read list. Then a week later, I was perusing the DVD collection in my flat, and disappointingly realised that there was nothing new that I hadn't already seen. Then a moment later, my eyes flickered across the shelf to a stack of books, and I saw the words "Never Let Me Go". I can't tell you how excited I was! I started reading it straight away and finished it over three nights. I seriously recommend it!!

Somebody Loves Us All - Damien Wilkins

This is the book I've just started - my Boy's sister gave it to me for my birthday - Damien Wilkins is a Wellington author, and the story is so far based in Wellington, which is so strange, but nice as it feels like I know the characters already. I'll let you know what it's like when I'm done!

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

And this is next on my reading list - I'm itching to start it, knowing at least three people who say it is their favourite of all of Murakami's novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment