It's been a while since I've continued my tours of NYC, so here we go again, with an absolutely guaranteed opportunity for you to star-spot me - if I was in NYC in two weeks time, you would find me here!!
Cultural Tour - 2nd Stop : The Jezabels
I fell in love with this incredible Aussie group in February, when I downloaded the weekly iTunes free track, "Hurt Me". It became one of the songs that helped me get around my 7km Round The Bays run, and I've been a fan ever since. I just need to track down their Debut "The Man is Dead" - already having the single from that EP, "Disco Biscuit Love", plus their last EP "She's So Hard", and their new EP "Dark Storm". LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!
So I would give anything to be in NY to see them perform, and I can only hope they come back when I'm actually over there! I'm not quite as good as you are Katie at describing why I love a particular band so much, but I'll give it a go! I love the scale of each track - the songs are definitely not shrinking violets. They are at the complete opposite end of the spectrum - epic (I hate this word but it is all I can think of right now to come close to how grand this music can be). The lead singer, Hayley, takes her voice to stunning Kate Bush heights in each track, and you have to play these songs loud! The pianist in me likes to imagine that I could be Heather, and the awesome drums keep everything moving which is why Hurt Me was such a great running motivator.
Have you guys been to any of these places? Which would be your pick for a gig like this?
Thursday October 21 - NY - Bowery Ballroom 8pm
Thursday October 21 - Brooklyn, NY - Union Hall 1am
Friday October 22 - NY - Piano's Upstairs Lounge
Saturday October 23 - NY - Fat Baby

Such a great post! You have totally inspired me to go seek out this band, Ali. And thanks for the nod (and your kindness! but my band descriptions tend to only stretch as far as "I like them. Their sounds make me happy".)
ReplyDeleteBowery Ballroom. For sure. NY music venues are so fantastic. A lot of them are former ballrooms and have terrific balconies. The Bowery is great and it's on the lower east side so many options for drinking and dining afterwards!
xx
Yay! Looking forward to hearing what you think of them hon! I found their debut EP last night and am not the hugest fan but mostly because you can tell it's their first.. But the other two are so wonderful..
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to get to the Bowery next year! xxx