Given I have, potentially, 90 years left to go, then WHAT’S THE BLOODY RUSH? Why not back off a little? Take my time. My God! Yes! I don’t have to achieve it all by 40. I’ll need to save some fun for when I’m 80. You can’t begin to understand what a load off my being this is. Or perhaps you can? Most of my pain and discord comes from rushing…and feeling time is slipping past me.
It drew an immediate reaction from me so I commented on her post:
I checked back yesterday and I can't tell you what a great feeling it was to know that I'm not alone with my fears. Here are two other comments following on from mine..Alison says:This is a great thought but not so easy to put into practice. I look forward to reading about your choices Sarah! Longevity is one thing, but my problem is…. If only us girls were able to relax over our body clocks – this is something we actually can’t just “back off” from, unless we don’t actually want a family.
It’s the one and only reason why anxiety makes it’s evil way into my gut over being a 31 year old female with a promising career and a new boyfriend – and my fears are in the following order – on top, that my relationship will fall apart and I’ll be single again for the next 10 years and lose my chance at having a family (but at least I can pursue my career..) – and next in line, that I start a family soon and lose my chance at making some big steps in my career before it’s too late (but at least I have a family..). Aargh.. I know what’s meant to happen will happen, but I wish we didn’t have this time limit imposed on us.October 11th, 2010 at 11:21
Rosie Kalber says:Oh my goodness… Alison you could be me!! I’m 31 and in exactly the same position. I am craving babies and marriage so badly, i’m frightened i’m not going to get them… and my fear is causing me to be negative and pressure my boyfriend, and who knows, I may even end up driving him away.
It’s so hard – the having children part, because we DO have a time limit. I would like to still be fit and active when my children are in their 20’s, you know?
What to do though… let go and accept that things will fall into place in their own time? But what if they don’t? *sigh* It’s so difficult really.
RosieOctober 11th, 2010 at 13:51
I do want a family. Not right at this very minute, but sometime in the next 4 or 5 years would be awesome. But you just can't plan it, as there are far too many variables. How can we relax when each month that passes us by is another month closer to being too old to have a family? What's meant to happen will happen, but I can't help but feel anxious that it could slip through my fingers.. Us girls definitely have it harder than the boys!Selena says:Thankyou Sarah for writing this today – I needed to hear this message! Today is my last day in my 20s – big 3-0 tomorrow – and I am characteristically reflective of the things that I have (and have not) achieved. I relate to what Alison and Rosie have shared. I had an age-specific deadline of becoming a mother by now but things haven’t exactly gone to plan. I have however achieved many ‘other’ things – I have numerous university degrees, have travelled the world and have held numerous management positions – the current of which keeps me very busy! Similar to you, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s earlier this year and I know my pace needs to change; I resonate with Mia’s term of ‘grave racing’! However, while I could possibly back the force off with some pursuits, I can not accept the possibility of not having the life I have always dreamed of, and fear that I am also running out of time to get there…October 11th, 2010 at 17:53
I 100% agree with you on this! Oh it is just so so so hard! And so terrifying... As my 30th birthday creeps towards me, I am feeling terribly inadequate and a little lost as to what I'm doing!
ReplyDeleteI am pretty sure that the man I am with is the man I will be with. I am 31 too - have a good career and am enjoying myself.
ReplyDeleteI have experienced some strange BUTs lately.
I flux in two states. I always wanted children. In fact - more than anything else, that's what I wanted - for the longest time. I guess I never really assumed (having dated a small pack of shit bags) that I might be lucky enough to find a special guy. In my head I never pictured a wedding, so much as a baby. For me, the two never went hand in hand. That being said, I didn't PLAN to be a single mum... but I didn't completely think it was a real possibility to find that one guy and create a family... so in my head, I always just had a baby in my future.
Now I have my man... things have changed a bit. Mostly, I now just really want to spend time with him. Someone asked me recently when we plan to get married or start a family (we have been coupled for 18months) and I was like... Heck, I only just found HIM. I need to just be with him for a while. I just want this. Him. I am wrapped up and I like that...
But then. He showed me a picture of himself as a baby a few weeks ago. And it was strange. Because I felt such a caring. Such love. It made me think, I want to have HIS babies. Almost an instinctive need to do so...
We will take our time, and who knows. But I am writing because he and I met by chance. And maybe now I have him, my clock can calm a little and feel assured things might get moving some day soon (ish). For now though, I DO JUST want to be with him. Bask in our time. But as I write this, I can see those little eyes. Those baby eyes from the photo he showed me and the curious little stare and I think... well, that would be damn nice too.
Not yet. I am not ready now. And I feel the clock, although not loudly.
There is time.
And for anyone who thinks it may take THEM some time... I can tell you my sister met her man at 37 and then was married and pregnant less than a year later. They have two little ones now. It's been four years. It took time - but they are happy. I understand about wanting to be young and active. But remember - you have time. xxx.
I feel your sentiments exactly. Here is the problem: I have no idea - and I never will - what kind of regret I may have later in life if I don't actively pursue procreation, because right now, the desire is rather non existent. And - even more troubling,I have not met one young couple, with kids, where I've said "Yep - I want that! I could be happy in that role. That kind of marriage is what I want."
ReplyDeleteIs there a role model family out there for me?
Thank you for posting this. xxx